San Fernando Valley Chapter

San Fernando, California

Chapter History…  Travel through our 99 years!

Fourteen women, many daughters of San Fernando Valley pioneers, signed the chapter charter in 1918.  Early chapter members included Adelaide Rice Granger and Annie Marshall Wade Young, "real granddaughters" whose grandfathers were patriots or soldiers in the American Revolution.  They named the chapter after the town of San Fernando and the mission founded as part of Father Junipero Serra’s chain of twenty-one missions.

            

Through the years the chapter has achieved many milestones:

  • October 25, 1918: The San Fernando Valley Chapter was approved by NSDAR to be the 43rd CA chapter.
  • June 7, 1919:  A copy of Regent Julia M. Powell’s pledge was placed under the bark of an oak tree in Arcadia.  The tree was named the San Fernando Valley Chapter Charter Oak.
  • June 14, 1920:  The chapter dedicated a memorial to those who served in World War I.  Currently, the memorial can be found at the Robert G. Morton VFW Post 3834 in San Fernando.                       

 

  • 1924: The chapter wrote and published “The Valley of San Fernando,” the history of the valley.  A copy can be found at the Los Angeles Public Library.

  • 1961:  Established the Catherine Hubbard Dace American History Memorial Award, which is annually awarded to an outstanding female student at San Fernando Valley High School. Ms. Dace was a charter member of the chapter, granddaughter of Sen. Charles Maclay (founder of the city of San Fernando) and the only female graduate of San Fernando High School in 1903.
  • 1970: Contributed to the placing of a bronze plaque at the San Fernando Mission honoring its founder Padre Lasuen.
  • 1988: Chapter Daughters assisted in the organization of the Valley’s first CAR (Children of the American Revolution) chapter- Fray Fermin Lasuen Society.
  • 1993:  The chapter celebrated  our 75th anniversary with the creation of a chapter banner.  The banner was made by member Janet Malagnini's daughter, Margaret Klomp.

 

  • April 18, 1998: The Achois Comihavit Chapter merged with the San Fernando Valley Chapter.  The Achois Comihavit Chapter was originally organized May 8, 1954 in North Hollywood.
  • July 5, 2005:  The General Richard Gridley Chapter merged with the San Fernando Valley Chapter.  The General Richard Gridley Chapter was organized on December 19, 1913.